Home » Malki Rose, Recent Posts, Video

Keren Tov Chef’sClassic 2011 (trailer)

February 20, 2011 – 10:06 pm26 Comments

In the tradition of MasterChef, the Melbourne Jewish community’s best amateur cooks battle it out in the kitchen.  Check out this entertaining and well produced trailer!

This unique charity event is coming to the Astor Theatre on 15th March at 8pm!

Tickets available at the Astor box office, Continental Kosher Butchers or online at www.chefsclassic.eventsbot.com

Keren Tov offers support and financial assistance to those in need of medical care and equipment.

Galus Australis is proud to be able to help promote such a worthy cause.

• Sol Salbe says:

This looks like a great cooking production which I would very much like to see. But why, oh why, does the voice over at the beginning over conflates Jewish cooking with Ashkenazi cooking? A lot of appeal to the majoprity of the world Jews who are either Sephardi or Second++ generation Israelis with a mixed culinary upbringing. It seems as if being insular extends beyond politics.

• Keren Tov says:

This competition was put together to raise funds for Keren Tov Charity Fund – an organisation that provides support and much needed assistance to families in the community affected by illness or in need of medical equipment or treatments. Keren Tov has provided support to many of these families in the past years and does so with respect and non-judgement.
    All proceeds from the screening of this competition go towards these families – do your part and buy a ticket!

• Sol,

Why, oh why, must you poke holes in what is a delightful and innovative Jewish community charitable initiative? The menu choices were probably just a reflection of the kosher community demographic which is far more Ashkenazi-dominant. There has been huge interest in the project, and I’m sure a far wider group will participate in future.

• Sol Salbe says:

David,

Not only am I going to attend, I’m going to drag a few friends (Jewish and non-Jewish) with me. It is a worthwhile project which I find very easy to support. But there is an Ashkenazi-centric element in the Australian Jewish community, typified by the name of this wonderful blog that I have had to explain to every Israeli in my circle, that I find very annoying. It is not a Left-Right thing, more Israeli/ Australian Diaspora contrast. Ashkenazi may predominate in the Kosher eating demographic but this is a clip to entice other people to watch the film and why should we give them a distorted picture.

BTW in case you were not aware of it, other than politics, food and cooking particularly Middle Eastern and fusion Jewish cooking is my greatest interest. So this is close to home and therefore more annoying.

• Keren Tov says:

Great to hear of your interest Sol. If you see a hole in our contestant demographic that needs to be filled, we would be delighted to have you compete in 2012!
    We look forward to hosting you at the event.

• Malki Rose says:

Sol, it is good to know that despite your frustration you will be attending and with bells on,

The appearance of the film/project as being Ashkenazi-centric, is probably a reflection of the dominance of European Jewish Immigrants to Australia in the last 150 years and in far greater collective numbers than Sephardim. This totally justifies why its/their presence has been more palpable in many regard.

The competition was open to applications from ALL Jews with a penchant for cooking,
    and all those who entered turned out to be of Ashkenazi background.

My hope is that next year more, or, perhaps at least, one Sephardi person will register to compete! But this is, of course, up to them.

I think we can all feel encouraged by the Ashkenazi trend of the last few years to embrace Sephardi cooking and the fact that middle eastern spices and flavours are fast filling many an Ashkenazi heart and Shabbat table.

• Sol Salbe says:

@Keren, be careful of what you wish! Although I can tell you that as a reader of this blog, J-wire and le’Havdil, the Australian Jewish News I must have missed your earlier invitation.

@Malki. I’ve only seen the film not the trailer and certainly have no appreciation of the event itself which may or not have been Ashkenazi-centric. I took exception to the voice-over’s contents that equates Jewish cooking with the Ashkenazi variety. Among other things it’s bad marketing and bad presentation of Jews. It’s like talking about Jewish contribution to culture and mentioning only men.

• Akiva says:

agree with Sol. Sephardi food. Yum.

• Malki Rose says:

Sol I assume you mean you’ve only seen the trailer, not the film, right?
    Considering we haven’t finished filming or editting?

• Sol Salbe says:

Malki,
    Yes I got it back to front. Didn’t realise that worrying about an unwell dog could affect my concentration that much.

Sol,

What were the offending lines?

• Sol Salbe says:

Nothing offensive. What I objected to was what was missing. There was a lack of balance in the lack of Sephardic and/or Israeli content. To repeat what I told Malki imagine a long list of great Jewish contributors to culture that does not include Rosa Luxembourg, Hanna Arendt, Ruth Bader Ginsburg or any other woman. You won’t like that either.

• Malki Rose says:

Luckily this trailer was not in any way intended to be representative of the full spectrum of Jewish cooking, but only a reflection of who entered this particular competition in its first year.

As I mentioned, I hope that next year the Sephardim come and register in their droves so that the Chef’s Classic can quickly become and continue to develop into a pillar of Jewish eclectic representation and reflect the diversity inherent to our uniquely varied culture.

(Luckily, there is plenty of Sephardi influence IN the food, the cooking and in the actual film itself.. but everyone will just have to find out for themselves on the night!)

• Malki Rose says:

i.e. a list without the names you mentioned would only be a misrepresentation if it claimed to represent an exhaustive list of great Jewish achievers and then only listed men.. totally agree.

but if the list claims to be only a list of a small handful of the many talented people out there..

anyway, you see my point.

Looking forward to seeing you there Sol!

Come and say hello!!! (and of course, feedback will be more than welcomed!)

• Sol Salbe says:

I hope we see each other’s point and just maybe I have raised the consciousness of some in our community about the need to be careful of being Ashkenazi-centric.

Looking forward to meeting you person after the film and giving you feedback. Somehow I presume I will work what you look like.

• Sol,

That is exactly what annoyed me in the first place – the pattern of behaviour among the left to always seek out some (minority) group, ANY group who could possibly be offended or marginalized by the particular activity or event, and to stand up for them.

It’s just another case of political correctness gone crazy.

The worst part is that when this is done by the Jewish left, they stand up for everyone in the world EXCEPT Jews.

• Kovi Rose says:

Malki this looks awesome.

• Sol Salbe says:

Something of relevance for Malki:
    Sorry, no private email Facebook ID for you.

Sol,

You wrote “…there is an Ashkenazi-centric element in the Australian Jewish community, typified by the name of this wonderful blog that I have had to explain to every Israeli in my circle, that I find very annoying”

Is it the Latin or the Yiddish/Ashkenazic Hebrew that causes them problems?

• Sol Salbe says:

Yiddish/Ashkenazic Hebrew

• rachsd says:

Hi Sol,

Lucky for your friends’ Jewish educations, they have now had exposure to one word in Ashkenazic Hebrew, which, prior to the creation of the State of Israel, was the language of prayer and study for a good portion of the Jewish world.

• Sam says:

Hi Sol
    If it makes you more comfortable, when you log on to this site and see the title GALUS, you may read it to yourself as GALUT. Honestly, none of us will lodge a complaint.

• Marky says:

Sol, refuah shelema(to fido)

• Still a lurker says:

Sol – Galus is neither Yiddish nor Ashkenazi Hebrew.

Both of those would pronounce the word Go’les with the stress on the first syllable.

Galus, presumably with the accent on the second syllable, is a mish-mash of sephardi vowels and ashkenazi consonants, a combination often heard now in Haredi circles (thus Pirkei Avos …which would be Pirkei Oves in Ashekanzi and Pirkei Avot in Sephardi)

Sol,

It’s well known that in Australia, even the Sefardim are Ashkenazim (just like in Israel the Ashkenazim are Sefardim) especially when it comes to Pesach!

As others have said on this page, it’s about demographics and the market of consumers. Since most of us in Australia are Ashkenazim, it is therefore hard to find Kasher LePesach goods containing kitniyot.

I am reminded of a Hungarian Israeli friend who made a derogatory comment about Morrocan Jews. When I pointed out to him that the wife of one of his friends is Morrocan, he said “ken, aval hee HISHTACHNEZ b’Australia!”

• Malki Rose says:

Tonight’s the big night!

VIP sold out.
    General admission still available at the door!
    (or at http://www.chefsclassic.eventsbot.com until 4pm!!!!)

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!