Home » Recent Posts, The Lighter Side

Purim Hoax Backfires

March 20, 2011 – 4:05 pm13 Comments

In what was meant to be a fun hoax for Purim, Galus Australis published an article about the (fictional) acquisition of their publication by Robert Magid, the owner of the AJN.

Sadly, the perpetrators of the hoax did not foresee some of the negative consequences.  Several members of Galus’ Facebook fan site disaffiliated (or in Facebook terms, “unliked”) from the group in disgust.  Several others expressed tremendous disappointment and vowed not to return to the website they now believed to be under new management.  Even some regular contributors contacted the editors expressing dismay at the sale to the AJN, and stating that they would need to reconsider any future involvement they might have with the publication.

A number of readers also left comments displaying their concern or dissatisfaction with the apparent takeover. “Don’t change a thing or I won’t be coming back!” wrote one reader.  Another reader wrote “We are here because it is NOT the Jewish News…Please respectfully keep that in mind Mr Magid.”

While the editors were able to reassure regular contributors that the story was only a purim hoax, unfortunately, the damage cannot be so easily undone as far as other readers and Facebook followers are concerned.

As predicted by the editors, David Werdiger, businessman  as well as regular contributor on Galus, was the first to publicly expose the story as a hoax.

The editors would like to apologise for any distress caused, and they hope disgruntled former readers will come back and rejoin the Facebook group.

Purim Sameach!

• Liam says:

Shame guys. Still was a good idea though, I think.

• Grandma C says:

Just too clever and funny for your own good! Initially gullible, a swear word erupted from my mouth when I first read it; and then one of the early comments pointed out it was Purim, and a feeling of great relief swept over me….. The fact that people could believe the story is some sort of indictment on how we perceive the media in our community, and the negative reaction a manifestation of the antipathy felt towards the AJN.

• Akiva says:

1. hahahahahahahaha! the article was hilarious.

2. to give your regular readership some credit, several of us knew immediately that it must be a hoax. At least I think we did. Larry?

3. Clearly Frosh should write hoaxes more often – it seems people listen to him more that way….. :)

• Mandi Katz says:

nuh – it was great. In our house we knew it was a hoax in two seconds. I agree with Shira Wenig that it was a really nice way to have some common ground among readers – not sure what it says about the future of the AJN that the usual sparring partners could put their differences aside on this, so it was also clever and valuable commentary.

• I’m sure plenty of people realized it was a hoax – I was just the first to be a party pooper after seeing some of the comments.

It had all the ingredients of a good hoax – just believable enough, but when you look back you realize how absurd it was. Well done GA.

• AusIsr says:

Geez, some people are sooo stupid. The Purim greeting at the end of the post should have given the game away to those who hadn’t yet cottoned on to the satire.

• larry stillman says:

Great hoax, ..next you will be telling us there is going to sharing agreement between Hamodia and Green Left Weekly [woops, that’s for next year]

And who reads this electronic schmatteh anyway, except for the 20 or so people who post, most of which are pseudonyms for about 4 people?

What’s Facebook?

• larry stillman says:

But here’s the real Purim Joke

Potential White House contender Sarah Palin lands in Israel……

She read The Yiddish Policemen’s Union as briefing material…

• Reality Check says:

Larry, I am sure many who contribute to this, here, blog thing would take very seriously and with open arms the idea of Sarah Palin being President. After all, look at Israel’s foreign minister.

No David, I was the first to realize it was a hoax, and I also knew that you would cotton on as well, because I know that you’re really clever.

• Bram Presser says:

I laughed hard! Then I stopped for a moment and wondered if it was true. Then I just laughed harder.

As an aside, I never realised that people in Israel treat Purim in the way we treat April Fool’s Day.

• Reality Check says:

Maybe the hoax is also a hoax. And Bram, I would suggest that in Israel, everyday is April Fool’s Day.

• FOOD FOR THOUGHT says:

……….A number of readers also left comments displaying their concern or dissatisfaction with the apparent takeover. “Don’t change a thing or I won’t be coming back!” wrote one reader. Another reader wrote “We are here because it is NOT the Jewish News…Please respectfully keep that in mind Mr Magid.”

Hey…who are you saying has no sense of humour…?

( tongue firmly planted in cheek…..)

Maybe our comments backfired on you Larry…..

Gotcha Galus!!

Hope Purim was fun for all.

cheers;):)

• letter in the age says:

i though this was kind of funny as well but not as witty as the joke Larry did!! i got it.

Savvier and smarter the Australian- Jewry is thank god!!(excuse the pun ;)

Thanks Galus et al.