Home » General, Recent Posts

Letter of Thanks to the Adass Community

September 19, 2012 – 8:41 pm6 Comments

Photo: Shlomo Boruch Abelesz

We received a request to publish this letter of thanks, following the fire that destroyed the homes of two Lubavitch families immediately prior to Rosh Hashanah.

On behalf of The Jacobson and Cyrulnik families I would like to say an incredibly huge and endless thank you to the Adass community for all your incredible, and overwhelmingly kind help on erev yom tov when a fire was ablaze over our two adjoining homes.

I was personally brought to tears by the incredible, ceaseless display of unbelievable ahavas yisrael on erev yom tov: the offers of housing that sprung forth immediately, the offer and actual delivery of clothing for the children, the offer and delivery of a huge abundance of food, and the non-stop drop-offs from families of cakes and the like. The family that immediately took my children to their house and fed them and took care of them for hours while we quickly set up for yom tov after being outside for hours. You even went so far as to bathe one of my children and prepare them fully for yom tov, when you have your own large family to get ready. Truly I do not have the words to express the gratitude of the heart that prevails so deeply. Your abounding display of chesed is absolutely inspirational and overwhelming in its detailed consideration.

When I heard the blasts of the shofar on yom tov my heart was overwhelmed with emotions, especially evoked by your selfless complete mesiras nefesh in helping your fellow Jew at such a pressured hour. I wish I could thank each and every one of you who offered and gave kindness. You provided menuchas nefesh amidst the initial anguish, fright and worry, before we knew what had happened. We received non-stop words of encouragement and consolation, and you even asked what we needed from our houses, and convinced firemen and police etc to let us in for urgent things.

How could one repay you all for your abounding kindness? I can only ask Hash-m with all my heart that in the merit of all the kindness you offered, showed and did, that He may bless your community with kindness a trillion-fold, from now and forever. May He pour out an abundance of blessings with endless chayay, banay, mezonay revichay b’gashmius and ruchnius, always in peace and joy. May you all be blessed with long lives and a year of revealed overflowing blessings – beyond nature and beyond this world… into this world revealed!

Since Hash-m blesses us mida kneged mida, I am left feeling immediately on Sunday, with such unbelievable ahavas chinam, we will surely see Moshiach this year. How could Hash-m not answer and send him this very year. Your acts of kindness no doubt have broken open the gates of shomoyim, and it certainly has to be a year of revealed miracles for all Am Yisrael immediately now! I can only say that certainly you have, so to speak, rebuilt Beis Hamikdash with your unbelievable and abounding kindness, which we are in awe of. All of Am Yisrael can learn what kindness with mesiras nefesh is from you.

I am in awe of the unbelievable Adass community’s tremendous boundless kindness and thankful to Hash-m from the depths of my heart for sending an immediate nechama. I am privileged to live by you, and have contact with you, and humbled beyond belief at your actual mesiras nefesh in kindness for your fellow Jews bli gavul, boundlessly, beyond all boundaries.

On behalf of our two families, thank you, thank you, thank you. I wish the heart could aptly transcribe what it feels to paper, and the soul what it senses. Meanwhile, please accept these words as a form of thank you from us, who are absolutely humbled and endlessly grateful for your unbelievable kindness.

With heartfelt eternal gratitude,
Gmar chasima tova in blessings beyond nature, and abundant revealed endless bountiful good in this world!

Mrs Leah Jacobson on behalf of the Jacobson and Cyrulnik families

• Kovi says:

As one who lives near the Adass community, but am not part of it, I can attest that this is what I have come to know this community for. There’s more chesed per head done in the Adass community than in any other community in Melbourne. Those who often malign them as being isolationist are completely unaware of how far they reach out and and to whom .
    Hatzolah, hachnasat orchim, and more gemachim than you can imagine.

• IlanaLeeds says:

B”h
    Well, well, for all those secular people out to stereotype the Adassniks as weirdos wearing white socks, long peyos, black caftans with dead squirrels perched on their heads and repressed women who bear child after child this must come as a real surprise.
    Often secular Jews I have ‘debated’ with about the real pluses of the close knit Hardin communities like Adassniks fail to see the real face of the community. Because tha Adass lifestyle is so different to the ego ridden, self centred ‘freedom’ of contemporary lifestyles where each individual is out to grab as much for him or herself in as little time as possible they often forget about family and community values or do not even know what they are. Kol hakavod to the writer and hopefully it will be an eye opener for some of the less religious brethren and increase their tolerance of those who do believe in a strong moral and community stance.

• tolerant says:

@IlanaLeeds

Well, well. You are not stereotyping are you !!

So every person who leads a contemporary lifestyle is out to grab as much for him or herself in as little time as possible often forgetting about family and communuty values or do not even know what they are!

Just think about what you are going to write before you put pen to paper  again.  There are good and bad people in all communities and somebody who thinks of themselves as intelligent, as you do, should know that and not write such narrow minded and bigotted garbage.

• PM123 says:

I think you could have left out the first three lines.

• Ari316 says:

@tolerant  @IlanaLeeds
    People can be good or bad within both societies.  However, I do not think people can argue with the fact that in general modern secular society is more individualistic, less community and family oriented than pre-modern soceities.  Whether there are other downsides to pre-modern societies, which stem from these very aspects is another question as is where to place modern chareidi societies – even highly segregates ones.  However on the whole I find it hard to argue that pre-modern soceities, owing to economic, legal and religious structures were more geared towards broader family units and communal mutual reliance.

• IlanaLeeds says:

@tolerant
    I have never said that I was intelligent, in fact quite the opposite. If I was as smart as you say ‘I think I purport to be’ I would be in a lot better financial and social situation than I currently am. In fact, some would say I am quite stupid. Only the fact I have had a lot more reading and writing practice than most people saves me from a state of complete moronic turpitude. I would never say that ‘I am intelligent’ rather just an average person who practises things a lot and always tries to do her best in all things, but Intelligent?? Not really.
    I am not the one who stereotypes and from your rather defensive post, I would suggest that what I wrote hit a sore spot. Shabbat shalom!