Home » Recent Posts, The Lighter Side, Video

How to Deal With Your Boss as Shabbat Times get Early

May 1, 2013 – 7:48 pm20 Comments
Of course, Walter takes an even more direct approach with these situations.

Of course, Walter takes an even more direct approach with these situations.

We’re at the time of year in the southern part of the globe where shabbat is coming in very early. For some, that can make it tough getting away from the office on time on Fridays. The above is an instructional video that shows shomer-shabbos office workers how to approach the subject with their boss.

I always ponder if Hashem is particularly fussed by whether you make it on time for Shabbat or not?

And if He is fussed by this, then why would anyone take the risk of being smote (not that we see a lot of that these days anyways which is odd, nu?) by putting themselves in an working setting that could delay them?

Best really for all the frumsters to give up the office/city/goyish life and go back to shtetl agriculture (potato farming and well digging were popular in the time of the Baal Shem Tov I have read) and small business/mercantilism (private banking/gem trading has always been a fail safe too)…

I mean, why apply the rigors (chumrot even!) of the 18th Century shtetl without actually walking the walk and living that life?

Sadducee,
    For many people, rituals such as Shabbos observance have their own intrinsic and/or communal meaning – it isn’t about fear of being ‘smote’ by the The Almighty, as you put it.

You seem to have a medieval Christian understanding of religious observance.

frosh

I’ll take a medieval Christian understanding of religious observance over a modern Progressive Judaism one anydays.

• Sadducee – if you don’t make it on time for Shabbat, it would spoil some vast eternal plan. It’s the same with any of the mitzvot, no matter when or where we live. Oh, and it’s the smiting we don’t see (i.e. the damage to our souls and therefore our spiritual connection to God) which is the worst kind of smiting.

I used to work for a fellow who made Shabbat when it suited him (not on Sunday or Thursday, but if he was running late, then as far as he was concerned Shabbat started when he got home and sat down to the dinner table). The whole idea seemed quite incongruous to me.

David

Thanks – I must admit I was speaking somewhat tongue-in-cheek in my initial post though I was of the impression that strict Sabbath observance (shomer shabbat) would be based on a religious motivation rather than a social/communal one.

As you are yourself aware, I’m certainly not observant myself though I do admire/respect those who can keep the strictures personally (without imposing them on others of course) and do acknowledge that there is a belief/point of view of the spiritual damage caused by Shabbat desecration (i.e. no part of the world to come etc). Personally, I’ve always considered that that is the portion of Hashem’s consideration, rather than anyone elses.

A little bit of manifested smiting would go a long way though – summoning some bears to eat the disrespectful would have a salutary effect on manners in the younger generation.

As long as that point of view (i.e. spiritual damage) isn’t used to judge people, I’m ok with that being held – I think it should be a source of concern for Jews to encourage their brethren to participate more fully and become more observant where they can.

As to your acquaintance, this doesn’t strike me as particularly strange – I always consider that the Law was made for man, not the other way around, and we can only do what we can do (with genuine intentions of course) to do our best.

When the community becomes more fixated on Shabbat times and ritual observances than on particularly important concerns eg. crimes within the Jewish community, Jewish education costs, community charity and support etc, then something has gone seriously wrong in our thinking.

• Sadducee – “more fixated”: absolutely spot-on. The scourge of the community is the piety in matters between man and God at the expense of matters between fellow men. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

• Daniel Levy says:

Any employers who don’t have some sort of flex-time arrangement for things like this is living in the 19th century and is costing their business productivity.

Also, lol @ frosh and big D W completely missing TheSad’s heavy sarcasm.

Sorry Daniel,

I did understand the comment was sarcastic (and I’m sure David did too), I just didn’t agree with the premise.

But that reminds me of the comment thread here:

• Shirlee. says:

Daniel sarcasm doesn’t work in the written word. It’s best not to use it. On the odd occasion I do, I put the word in brackets so the point isn’t missed.

• Daniel Levy says:

@frosh, that’s got to be your trophy hasn’t it? I’ve lost trakc of how many times you’ve linked to it in the last 4 years. I suppose it’s relevant that it would be one of the fonder memories of this now irrelevant trollground’s fleeting heyday. This thing peaked about then and has only slid into abject obscurity since. Now it’s just entertainment fodder for me and TheSad, a life obsession for Otto and you occasionally get five or so other commenters.

Congratulations, what a legacy.

• Daniel Levy says:

Now to the topic at hand, lest the dozens and dozens of readers fear I have ceded the point: @frosh, you still missed his point. If you really think that the point being made was that cultural significance is unimportant/not a consideration, then you are the one who really did not understand the sarcasm. It was very clearly satirising a certain type of self-righteous shmuck. I suppose given your shared affinity with such people that you naturally glossed over the point.

It was plain as day for everyone else, though :)

Daniel,

You’re making no sense at all.

I’m not sure how many other times I’ve linked to that thread (perhaps once?), but I do know that that particular comment thread never fails to have myself, friends, and family members rolling on the floor with laughter. Thank you, from all of us, for the valuable service you provide.

You obviously still haven’t gotten over it, as that is about the only thing that could explain your current nonsensical comments.

Dont worry Daniel, after all, Frosh’s name is linked to “masterpiece” for as long as the internet survives:

• Otto Waldmann says:

Daniel

…fishing for compliments, aren’t we, as if you have’nt been using this site like a quasi-spiritual inflatable doll, mostly of the “Non Sequetur” brand. And , noch, a four year veteran, speaking of perennials.
    I thought ” what the heck “, butt in and give the kid some satisfaction re me obsessions,’cause at times he writes real good and with gumption, more or less akin to the guy I admire in the mirror.

• Daniel Levy says:

Eds: Trolling comment removed.

Daniel, if you wish to publish our web traffic statistics, then you’ll need to at least publish the real figures, and not publish made up figures (less than 10% of the actual figures).

Surely a fetching young gregarious genius such as yourself has better things to do than leave trolling comments at 1.47am (on Saturday night!) on a website that you yourself have declared irrelevant.

• Shirlee. says:

Actually Daniel, it appears to me, as a relative newcomer to this site, that you are the “only real joke here”

If you think this site is so bad, why on earth do you keep coming back for more? There must be something here that attracts you. Surely insulting people is not the only way you get your kicks in life?

One must enjoy the edifying spectacle of seeing the editors of the sight heckle their readers…

Eds: Firstly, Daniel (by his own admission) is not a reader; he’s a troll.
    Secondly, we’re sorry if you’re offended by our declining of your recent emailed invitation to meet in person. The truth is that we’re quite busy people, and that it’s just plain inadvisable to meet with people leaving anonymous comments on websites.

lol – yeah, anonymous invite from my Australian Government email address…

• Eds – I’ve met TheSadducee, we broke bread (well, laffa) together, and have both lived to speak of it. He’s an OK bloke and is real. Don’t be too precious.

• Moishe'la has spoken again! says:

BS”D
    Discussion with Moishe’la (with his family)
    A Handicapped child
    Tishrei 13 ‘5774 (Sept 16 ’13)

“Time to Go back to the Shtetel”

I want to tell you that I feel very strongly that we are going to soon experience some very amazing and frightening happenings in the world. We may see little happenings in Eretz Yisroel, but mainly now I feel it’s going to be in the outer world beyond the borders of Eretz Yisroel.

I want to tell you Mommy and Tatti that we must – that is Klal Yisroel – must remember “Kedoshim Tehiu”. This is the entire secret for doing complete Teshuva. I feel that this particular thing has been forgotten, for the most part, in Klall Yisroel. It’s terrible to walk down Rechov Rabbi Akiva in Bnei Brak, or Malchei Yisroel in Yerushalayim, or even the famous center of the Frumest of the Frum, Meah Shearim in Yerushalayim, and to see how the Kedusha and the Tznius has deteriorated. For certain in New York; Boro Park, Seagate, even Williamsburg etc. Monsey, Lakewood wherever you choose, all over the world the Tznius has gone so far down, and no one realizes what’s happening. They forgot that it’s not considered Tzniusdik to see a woman’s body moving along, fighting with its covering to stay in place.

No one seems to realize that most of the Rabbonim, in Eretz Yisroel at least, have said that you can’t wear stretchy clothes like lycra or tee shirt material. But we ignore all of this, and we decide that the sleeve could be just under the elbow. Of course when you lift your arm, it goes way higher than that, and the tight skirt could be just below the knee, and when you sit down, well I won’t go into that.

And how can such women who go to work in all kinds of offices with their long Sheitels and their made up faces? How can they support a Talmid Chachom? They are Baalos Aveiros. Just by walking down the street they catch the attention of many Yingerleit, and this is a big Aveira.

The money that they earn to support their husbands who are Talmidei Chachomim is worth nothing, and if anything it brings their husbands down.

So you might say there are other women that do dress Tzniusdik, but we forgot what Tznius is. And even if their clothes are a bit looser, their Sheitels look and are real hair. And as they walk along the streets the fact that they feel like their heads are uncovered with beautiful stylish hairdos which even if they are simple, are still chic, this gives a feeling of freedom; of not being married. And there are some women that have Sheitels that are very old-fashioned so-to-speak, and these old-fashioned Sheitels give a hechsher to all the fancy Sheitels, because a Sheitel is a Sheitel – you are wearing a Sheitel. You feel you are allowed to wear any kind of Sheitel, and it’s very interesting how many Sheitels have hechsheirim. I can’t understand what hechsher could be on a Sheitel. There’s not even a way to know if it’s Indian hair or not, but I think most of us have forgotten about the problem with Avodah Zarah in the Indian hair, and it makes no difference to anyone anymore even though it’s still a very big problem. And there are many Yingerleit that enjoy the fact that their wives are being looked at by other men. It makes them feel proud that they have such a “Barbie doll wife”.

Well all I can do is sit and cry. This is why we have so many problems in our marriages today, and why we have so little Kedusha in our community, and why Yiddishkeit is basically falling apart. You can’t make your own rules and regulations. You can’t make a Jewish home look like a Goyisha one except, that you keep Shabbos and Yom Tov etc, or your husband goes to learn in Kollel. It’s just not enough. And the children even if they have long Payos, and seem like good Chassidisha little kids, the Gashmius has gone into their minds and into their hearts and they don’t go so deeply anymore into the truth. And this is all over the world now, because once you had Polish Jews and had German Jews and American Jews and so on, and there were places that were less Frum and more Frum, but now everything has gone down and everything is on the same low spiritual level. It’s not like it used to be.

There was a time when Yidden, maybe not all Yidden, but many Yidden knew what Kedusha meant. They were careful in every way, because only someone with Kedusha can get close to Hashem. The Gashmius which produces the lack of Tznius, and the fact that many of us act like Goyim, brings us way down instead of being able to go up, because Kedusha makes us spiritually light, and we can rise higher and come closer to the truth. But Gashmius makes us heavy, with the pleasures of the Olam Hazeh.

But people will argue with me, “But we are Tzniusdik and it’s not true,” but the people who argue are not Tzniusdik, and the people who try to be Tzniusdik will never argue. They’ll only try harder, try harder to come close to Hashem. It cannot be that a person who doesn’t even know what Kedusha means, can come close to Hashem. You can’t sit around, couples men and women talking and schmoozing in your bungalow colonies, and come close to Hashem. You can’t go to movies or see videos and come close to Hashem. You can’t have parties with frivolous speech and singers imitating the jazzy and rock n’ roll movements and get close to Hashem. You can’t run from pizza store to falafel store sitting, guzzling, laughing, and come close to Hashem. You can’t sit in restaurants where everybody can look in and see just exactly how you’re eating and think that if you wash your hands and make a Brocha first and Bentch at the end you’re OK. It’s like eating in the marketplace. It’s like vomiting on the table. It’s not OK. You can’t come close to Hashem, and it goes on and on.

I can’t even begin to tell you what’s wrong because there is so much to say. The Yeshivas, Hashem Yishmor, have many Bochurim that have a total lack of understanding of what Kedusha is all about and quite a few of the Bochurim are involved with many not Torahdik things that if they would be revealed would make many Yidden just sit down and cry at the failure of this generation to educate the Yeshiva Bochurim. You do have good Bochurim but it’s very hard to be a good Bochur when so many open attitudes prevail. And as far as Bais Yaakov goes, most of the girls come out shallow and superficial, without being able to comprehend anything deeper than the material shallowness they have been engulfed with.

They are always a few that manage to break through, and find the truth, and are willing to go against society to hold on to that truth. Those are the ones that will have it the easiest now. Those are the ones that will just slide into the Geula with an easy movement. All the rest that are real Jews, real Jewish Neshomas, will have to suffer very much because they just don’t understand. Because it will be so difficult for them to be able break away from all the Gashmius and stupidity in their lives.

I really have not covered the subject, but there is not too much more that I feel like saying. Any Emesdik person knows that what I’ve said is correct, and I can relate many more examples than I have given. So please Klal Yisroel –do Teshuva!

Come back to the truth.
    Come back to the Emes.
    Go back to the way it was once.

I am not talking about going back to the time of the Haskolah movement. I’m talking about going back to the Shtetel, I’m talking about the real true Talmidei Chachomim like the Talmidim of the Baal Shem Tov, of the Gra, or the Talmidim of the Arizal etc.

Am Yisroel. Build a Yiddisha Shtub a true Bais Mikdosh Mi’at, and I beg you do it fast because time is running out.