Home » Author, Community Life, Editorial, Recent Posts

Fresh Allegations…

October 10, 2013 – 10:16 am14 Comments

From the editor:

From today’s AJN via Tzedek:

yeshiva2Adam Kamien

YESHIVAH College in Melbourne has been dragged further into the mire of child sex abuse scandal, with an alleged victim, who claims he was repeatedly raped by a longstanding employee of the school, breaking his silence this week.

The alleged abuses happened some time ago, though The AJN has opted not to publish the dates as to conceal the identities of the victim and the alleged perpetrator, who remains in close contact with children at the school today.

The man, who was eight, or nine when the alleged incidents took place, claims he was lured to the college’s shul with the promise of chocolates and raped on the bimah “in front of the sefer torah”. He also claims he was also forced to perform oral sex and believes there to be at least one more victim of the alleged pedophile.

“After I was raped I was in shock and I went to the office and I was shivering and crying. I didn’t know what rape was because I was eight years old. I din’t know what sex was, so I didn’t have the words to say what happened,” the man said.

“I remember being raped in front of the sefer torah. I remember being raped on one of the pews.”

The man claims he has never had a relationship or held down a job owing to the trauma of his rape, the memory of which he says was suppressed until recently.

The man reported the incident to police this week and it is understood an investigation is underway. Police media declined to comment when contacted byThe AJN.

The man described his attacker as a “predator” and said the Yeshivah employee asked him for forgiveness around the time of Yom Kippur following the alleged abuses.

The school has been beset by sex abuse scandals in recent years, with former employees David Kramer and David Cyprys both pleading guilty to child sex offences, while charges have also been brought against a former Chabad Youth leader and Yeshivah substitute teacher.

Meanwhile Maccabi has appointed a committee to conduct its independent review of the handling of the sexual assault committed by former basketball coach Shannon Francis.

President of the Jewish Community Council of Victoria Nina Bassat, management consultant and investment advisor Harry Rosenberg and barrister Daniel Aghion.

Francis was sentenced to eight years jail after he pleaded guilty to four counts including two charges of maintaining a sexual relationship with a child under 16, one charge of sexual penetration of a child under 16 and one count of attempted sexual penetration of a child aged 16. Maccabi was accused by the two Jewish victims in the case of failing to offer the proper support.

Founder of Tzedek, a victim advocate group for Jewish survivours of child sexual abuse, Manny Waks was again before the Royal Commission into child sex abuse on Tuesday.

Waks had previously related his own experiences as a victim of abuse, but spoke this week as Tzedek CEO and on behalf of other victims in the Jewish community.

Australian Jewish News

• JAW says:

I cannot believe this – I cannot understand such an evil human being being anywhere near a Bimah!

To the victim, I say – I weep with you and hold you in my arms, the eight year old you needs security, support, love and acceptance – You were an innocence child that should NEVER have suffered in that way.

Why did this child have no protection? I honestly believe that the Yeshiva centre failed in protecting its students – protecting the “good” name and work of a “cornflake packet” Chabad Rabbi is more important. This disgusts me so much I find it hard to accept that G-d would accept the prayers of those that daven in that cesspool of a Shul.

JAW

• Justin says:

Shocking!

When these allegations first came out my thoughts were one of isolated incidents that were maybe being exaggerated – how wrong I was!!!

I am appalled and disgusted and feel such pain for the victims. Protecting criminals goes totally against the grain of jewish values and it sickens me how this has been covered up.

Rape and molestation breaks a humans spirit and destroys families. I am so grateful for all the work Mannie Waks is doing and feel protected by his efforts. Our children are our lives and no evil person must ever take this away!

Hurting

• Will Not Swallow Every 'Allegation" Whole says:

In the main shoole? At the bimah? In front of Sefer Torah? Never happened, not in a million years did it happen.

• sylvia says:

Hey did you hear of the guy who approached an acquaintance and calls out loudly “Hey your sister is a women of ill repute”
    and the guy embarrassed and beet red whispers back “but I don’t have a sister”……….. so the accuser whispers back……..”So now go tell the world”
    Any fool can break -it takes talent to build.

• Joe in Australia says:

I’m … a bit sceptical of this. I mean, sure, there are times when the synagogue is/was empty, but it was never guaranteed to be empty, even in the early hours of the morning. Wouldn’t a rapist choose a secluded spot? Furthermore, the sifrei torah at Yeshiva, as in other synagogues, are kept in the Aron when not in use. Someone who claims to have a recently-recovered memory of “being raped in front of the sefer torah” may be telling the truth, but to me it sounds more like a delusion.

• Jonny says:

I hope everyone understands that these allegations coming forward is the system finally WORKING… At last!!

Now the investigations can be done, any illegal abuse dealt with, and the learning and healing can start!!

Stop denying people’s right to make a claim and have concerns investigated! That has been the problem all along: people in denial silencing injured people… And in doing so denying justice!

Enough!

• Reallity Check says:

Joe of Australia, will the police be calling on you to advise them with their enquiries? With all your insight, they could.

• Hang On says:

Hang on a second,before you jump to conclusions ,calling yeshiva shul a cesspool ,lets see if these shocking allegations stack up.It sounds all wrong,in a shul? on a bimah ?in front of torahs ,sounds very unlikely to me ,maybe this is all coming from a very disturbed unemployed delusional individual.I’m sure Rabbi Groner obm would never have sanctioned ,or protected such a person

• Sceptic says:

It has been a few weeks since Tzedek has issued a press release and it is obvious that this is just publicity seeking. The CEO needs to justify his existence and pay packet hence these wild and obviously exaggerated allegations.

• Joe in Australia says:

Reallity Check, I’m sure the police have better things to do with their time.

• Jonny says:

Are you skeptics aware of many (or even any) cases where a case like this, properly investigated, hasn’t turned up a real incident?

Denial… Denial…

• Jonny says:

@hang on… Just remind us what the correct version of a rape story should sound like… Idiot!

• Sceptic says:

When truth and logic doesn’t work the small minded people start abusing anyone who doesn’t agree with their point of view.

“The man claims he has never had a relationship or held down a job owing to the trauma of his rape, the memory of which he says was suppressed [or perhaps repressed?] until recently.”

I’m curious as to whether the evidence here relies only on Recovered Memory, or whether another party has corroborated it.

The validity of Recovered Memory as concept in psychology is extremely controversial. From what I have read, while a high proportion of therapists might believe in the validity of Recovered Memory, cognitive scientists tend to be much more sceptical. Those sceptics do not think that the person with recovered memory is typically lying – that is, they accept that the recovered memories are often subjectively very real to the person – they are just sceptical that the recovered memories always reflect real events.

To be clear, even if the evidence here relies entirely on Recovered Memory (and it may not), I’m not saying that the events did not happen. They may well have. And often, due to the nature of sexual abuse crimes, it isn’t possible to have the evidence corroborated (unless the alleged perpetrator confesses). I just think it’s worth keeping in mind that Recovered Memory needs to be weighed up differently to regular memory, which is not without its own problems either.
    For more info, read Daniel Schacter’s seminal book, The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers