Dvir Abramovich And Fascism: A Jewish Failure
By Alex Fein:
Dvir Abramovich, you need to step down now.
The B’nei B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission requires an immediate change in leadership.
You don’t get to head up a blue ribbon Jewish community organisation–one that enjoys all manner of tax exemptions with extravagant government and communal funding–and not do your job.
Especially considering what’s at stake.
The Australian Muslim community is in immediate peril and you are silent. Indigenous Australia has been the target of contempt and hate and you have barely said a word.
Searching the Anti-Defamation Commission’s site, your last castigation of Islamophobia occurred in 2014. And you have failed to make any meaningful statement on the Adam Goodes issue.
This is in direct breach of your organisation’s mission statement.
You are, however, prolific in your dissemination of press releases on issues that are simply not the purview of a Melbourne based anti-racism group.
The situation has become utterly farcical.
Four days have now passed since the Federal Government mooted the Border Force descending on Melbourne to demand people’s papers, and the ADC has said nothing.
Three days have passed since fascists invaded Bendigo to try to terrify Muslims and their friends and the ADC has said nothing.
Reclaim Australia has been gathering momentum all year and its connections with racist and fascist groups is obvious with even the most cursory Google search and the ADC has said nothing.
I will now post the titles of the many press releases you have issued over the past two months.
1) August 25, 2015: B’nai B’rith International and B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission disappointed by Natalie Portman’s questioning of Holocaust education emphasis
The fascists had announced their intention to rally in Bendigo against the Muslims, but an American Jewish Actor’s opinion on Jewish education is what warrants condemnation….
2) August 25, 2015: B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission concerned about Nazi memorabilia sold at Bendigo collectibles show
Not a single word about Muslims and the tensions in Bendigo. Apparently Nazis are only a problem for Jews.
3) August 21, 2015 x 2 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission denounces rejection of Israeli film about disabled children from Oslo Film Festival
Reclaim is inciting against Muslims on facebook. No worries. The Oslo Film Festival is clearly more relevant to Australians. So relevant, that it actually requires two press releases! Monitoring it is certainly deserving of Australian government money and tax exemptions.
4) August 20, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission welcomes apology by Spanish Music festival and decision to re-invite Jewish –American singer Matisyahu to perform
A Spanish music festival. An American singer. Australian government money. Australian Jewish philanthropic money.
5) August 14, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission praises UN special forum to discuss and denounce Christian anti-Semitism
What, precisely, makes you think this press release has any impact on anything at all? Once again, how on earth can you justify taxpayers’ dollars and philanthropy spent on this?
6) August 14, 2015 B’nai B’rith International and B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission disappointed by U.S Government’s petitioning on behalf of Palestinian Authority urging decrease in financial awards to terror victims
See above. What makes you think that Australian time and resources are needed to bolster the international organisation’s statement. Who, precisely, cares what the Australian Anti-Defamation Commission thinks about this?
7) August 11, 2015 B’nai B’rith International and B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission urge the U. S Congress to reject Iran deal
See above. I promise: there is not a single member of Congress who cares.
8) August 12, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission denounces concentration camp comments by Dr Ric Gordon on The Today Show
Finally! An Australian issue! The only problem is, when the poor doctor apologised for his extremely silly comments, you declared his apology wasn’t good enough. Seriously. How on earth is that constructive? How on earth do you think you are helping or protecting anyone in any community by being so utterly ungracious?
9) August 10, 2015 Simon Wiesenthal Centre leader to deliver The 2015 ADC-Gandel Oration
Again, something in Australia: that’s wonderful! But beyond the few fortunate folk who attended the speech, who precisely was helped here? How is this an effective use of philanthropy? Beyond self-congratulation, what has this press release achieved?
10) August10, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission: Fairfax article by Ruby Hamad is shameful and misleading
This is particularly infuriating: the topic itself is actually, finally, within the remit of the ADC, yet the tone of the press release is so breathtakingly pompous, that precisely nought is achieved. Once again, who has been convinced of anything? Whose mind has been changed? Whose heart has been softened? Or is such a piece only capable of further entrenching everyone’s already-held beliefs?
9) August 8, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission denounces anti-Israel statements by senior official from Amnesty UK
Oh for crying out loud!
10) August 6, 2015 Joint Statement on Racism directed at Adam Goodes
Are you serious? Is this it? The repugnant behaviour directed at one of our most important Australians, simply because he’s Indigenous, merits nothing but a signature on someone else’s declaration? This isn’t funny anymore.
11) August 2 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission concerned about reports that Air France has wiped Israel from its in-flight maps
OK: this is a little bit funny… I can picture it the distraught Frenchmen: Alors! We must repent immediately! The head of a tiny department in a university on the other side of the world is angered by us! We must act now!
12) August 1 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission horrified by fatal West Bank Attack on Palestinian family that left an 18 month old toddler dead and his brother and parents critically injured
Why exactly does Bibi need to be quoted at the very top of this statement? Does the Israeli PM not have his own media department? Seriously! Australian Jewry needs to be able to express horror at this unthinkably repulsive act without acting as a cheer squad for Israeli politicians.
13) July 31, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission denounces stabbing at Gay Pride Parade in Jerusalem
See above. Yet another opportunity to cheerlead for Bibi, rather than simply condemning a horrific murder.
14) July 28, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission criticises Mike Huckabee for offensive Holocaust comparison
I’m pretty sure Mike Huckabee comes from the same school as the folk at Air France.
15) July 27, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission commends Romanian President Klaus Iohannis for banning Holocaust denial
16) July 26, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission welcomes ALP National Conference Resolution rejecting Boycotts, Divestments and Sanctions
I can’t believe it: something actually in the ADC’s remit!
17) July 23, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission applauds Italian Prime Minister Renzi for his strong stance on anti-Semitism and the BDS
Aaaand back we go….
18) July 22, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission applauds Twitter for new ‘Safety centre’ to aid users report anti-Semitic posts
Hmm… yet another release about something in the ADC’s mission statement. Careful, you could actually be doing your job….
19) July 22, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission joins Simon Wiesenthal Center in petitioning U.S congress to stop Iran from becoming a nuclear power
Oh, never mind….
20) July 21, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission concerned about online comments following the Jarryd Hayne twitter episode blaming Jews for the death of Jesus
OMG! Someone on the internet accused the Jews of killing Jesus! Quick: write a press release!
21) July 15, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission calls on Hungarian government to halt its plans to erect a statute honouring anti-Semitic minister Bálint Homan
Firstly, erecting, ‘statutes’ is harder than it seems. Secondly… Hungary…. Australian Government money…. Philanthropy…. I need a coffee.
22) July 15, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission welcomes conviction and prison term for Oskar Groening, the ‘Bookkeeper of Auschwitz’
Never fear, Australian Jews, Muslims, Indigenous people, other minorities: the ADC’s on the case. When it welcomes a conviction and prison term, you can be sure that conviction and prison term stay welcomed!
23) July 15, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission accepts Jarryd Hayne apology for offensive tweets
I have a funny feeling Mr Hayne has other concerns….
24) July 14, 2015 B’nai B’rith International and B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission deeply concerned about Iran nuclear deal
In breaking news: US ditches deal in response to ADC ‘concerns.’
23) July 10, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission calls on Museum of Contemporary Art in Krakow to remove offensive video installation of naked men and women playing a game of tag in a gas chamber
You can not make this shit up!
24) B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission praises Episcopal Church in the U.S for opposing BDS campaign
This will clearly alter the course of Israeli/Palestinian history….
25) July 7, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission welcomes Hilary Clinton’s strong anti-BDS stance
See above. Also, Hilary must be inordinately pleased.
26) July 7, 2015 Twitter comments by Jarrod Hayne blaming Jews for the death of Jesus deeply offensive and wrong
27) July 2, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission congratulates Linda Dessau on her appointment as Victoria’s first female Governor and the first Jewish Australian to assume this role
I imagine Linda Dessau shares Hilary’s pleasure.
28) July 2, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission condemns United Church of Christ Divestment vote
In Cleveland. Ohio. Australian taxpayer dollars….
29) July 2, 2015 B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission mourns the passing of Sir Nicholas Winton
Fair enough. No one would begrudge this sort of release if it occurred in the context of other releases that actually fulfilled the ADC mission.
30) B’nai B’rith Anti-Defamation Commission: In light of revelations of an earlier anti-Semitic twitter post, James Howarth’s apology is insufficient and not satisfactory
Here we go again… Ungracious. Unhelpful. Pointless. These should not be the words that best describe any communal institution. But it’s particularly egregious, considering the incredibly important work that is waiting to be done.
Dvir Abramovich, through sins of omission, you have made common cause with the most appalling sectors of Australian society. In the glaring gaps, that should be filled with agitation for a just Australia, there is instead pompous posturing.
Step down now.